Even though their names are similar, toasters and toaster ovens are completely different products. Just like any other kitchen utensils, all you have to consider is what you expect from these products. What do you plan on making? Which product will meet your needs, toasters or toaster ovens? We will be mentioning their area of use for you to decide which one is the best product for you!
Toaster and Toaster Oven Features
Toasters have only one aim, which is toasting bread. This makes them extremely easy to use as all you have to do is place the bread slices in then start the toaster. Without the complicity of any settings, plugging the toaster in will suffice.
Space usually is a vital factor when buying new kitchen appliances, especially in cramped quarters. They are very small, light, and take little space in your kitchen. You can easily put them away after use if you want to.
They are both affordable and fast, single coins make them heat up faster, toasting your bread in a matter of minutes.
The downside of toasters is their one and single purpose. They are meant to hold standard slices of bread, which limits the size of the bread. If you like to toast rectangle bread, you should buy a wide depth toaster. You can’t add other ingredients like cheese either while toasting the bread.
Larger than toasters, toaster ovens have multiple functions such as broiling, baking, toasting any many more ways of cooking. Even though they have more purpose than traditional toasters, you will need to play around to explore the options they give as they are slightly more complex.
Toaster ovens tend to be more expensive but overall affordable. Since they are larger than their traditional counterparts, they take up more space on your countertop. Daily use can affect your utility bills as energy consumption is higher. Another thing to keep in mind is that they work slower than toasters as the preheat time is longer.
Toasters vs. Toaster Ovens
If you still have some questions in your mind, we will be making a quick comparison of toasters and toaster ovens with their pros and cons.
Toasters are small, easy to store and carry around while toaster ovens take up more space.
Toaster ovens have more settings you can experiment from toasting and grilling to baking and warming. Unless toasting bread slices will be the only purpose, toaster ovens win this one.
Toaster ovens’ gift is their greatest curse as it makes them harder to use. Toasters are simple and easier to use.
A toaster can contain up to 4 slices of bread and bread only but toaster ovens allow you to cook more than one ingredient.
Since toaster ovens need time to preheat, they use more energy than traditional toasters.
If you are on a budget, toasters are more ideal as they are cheaper than toaster ovens.
As most of the ovens have this problem, you might have to rotate the food every now and then while using toaster ovens. Since the traditional toasters work with a single coin in a smaller slot, the bread will be even on both sides.
Best Toaster/Toaster Oven Brands and Reviews
- JOOFO 2 Slice Stainless Steel Toaster: The 1.5-inch slots are large enough to fit thick slices of bread or even bagels. The toaster has defrost, bagel, reheat, and cancel controls with a tray that stores the breadcrumbs. The shade setting has 6 levels, but actually supports anywhere between two adjacent levels and the adjustment button has a very smooth touch to turn. If you want something that will bring a little more color to your kitchen and this will be the perfect addition!
- Hosome Stainless Steel Bread Toaster: Equipped with a led, digital countdown timer, it tells you how long your bread will bake. It doesn’t only give you 4 functions but also a crumb tray and a built-in warming rack that comes up when you press down the lift lever. You can warm croissants or bagels on the rack! To ensure safety and durability, this 2 slice toaster was made of high temperature resistant stainless steel which is also non-toxic.
- Elite Gourmet 2-Slice Multi-Function Radio Toaster: The slim profile of this toaster will be ideal for the limited space area in your kitchen. Apart from coming with 4 toasting slots, this model handles thicker bread it’s especially helpful if you bake your own bread and the size of slices varies. The buttons on the side are functional for ejecting or selecting for frozen bread. Works great for 4 slices of other types of bread or two bagels. However, if you are only making two slices of normal size toast, it will use more electricity.
- Hamilton Beach Roll-Top Door Toaster Oven: First of all, it’s a perfect size and doesn’t take up too much counter space. Second of all, it is so easy to clean as the cover can be removed for cleaning. The door rolling back is a space saver and you can easily remove toasted items with no danger of touching a hot surface and burning yourself! Fits 4 slices of toast or 9″ pizza, you can also bake and broil apart from toasting.
- BLACK+DECKER Countertop Convection Toaster Oven: We mentioned that the convection technology speeds up the heating process and it’s no exception with this model as the optimized heat circulation provides improved speed and consistency. 8 functions include bake, toast, bagel, frozen snacks, pizza, cookies, and potato. Dual-position racks place food right under the broiler or make room for large items. High and low oven rack positions provide the versatility to have great results on all foods!
- Comfee’ Toaster Oven Countertop: Toast shade adjustments aren’t a feature only for traditional toasters and Comfee’ proves that. Fit for 4 slices of bread, you won’t need to worry about toasting evenly. It comes with two flexible rack positions to fit various food, this toast oven gives you 3 popular cooking functions, bake, toast, and broil. You can use the broiling function for vegetables and meat, toast some garlic bread, make egg rolls, mozzarella sticks, or whatever you are craving. All done in one toaster oven, it provides great results for all foods.
- Oster Black Stainless Steel Collection French Door Toaster Oven: The thing about French doors is that they maintain the temperature of the air when you check inside since you are not opening both sides. We can assure you that you won’t need to look inside as the interior light will allow you to see inside. This toaster oven has a large interior design and most likely will take up some space on your counter. However, it’s safe to say that the dehydrating option that allows you to make your own dried fruit or vegetables is worth it. You can set a cooking duration of up to 90 minutes with the integrated timer and when the dish is done and the signal sounds, your oven will automatically turn off.